- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 10-05-2015
I get this question all the time when I mention LIGHT THERAPY and how it BENEFITS the body.
Read how beneficial it is and WHY!
Quantum Light Therapy Medical Evidence Shows that Red and Infrared Light Each Release of Nitric Oxide from Hemoglobin.
Why is This Important?
1. Nitric Oxide Improves Circulation at the Site of Treatment
2. Nitric oxide increases blood flow to injured or damaged tissue. It dilates vessels which are already present at the site of light treatment and increases the formation of new capillaries. These additional blood vessels replace damaged ones. New capillaries speed up the healing process by carrying more oxygen and nutrients needed for healing and they help to remove waste products.
3. Nitric oxide stimulates the production of collagen. Collagen is the most important common protein found in the body. Collagen is the essential protein used to repair damaged tissue and to replace old tissue. It is the substance that holds cells together and has a high degree of elasticity. By increasing this form of collagen, less scar tissue is formed at the damaged site.
4. Nitric oxide stimulates the production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP is the major source of energy produced by cells. Increases in ATP allow cells to accept nutrients faster and get rid of waste products faster. Increased delivery of oxygen and nutrients to cells enhances cell ATP production thereby providing the chemical energy that maximizes cell function
*Other Effects of Nitric Oxide 1. Increases lymphatic system activity. Research has shown that the lymph Bessel diameter and the flow of the lymph system can be doubled with the use of light therapy. This effect enhances removal of lymph and interstitial fluid which can cause swelling and pain. Nitric oxide also helps to increase the number of lymph vessels much like it grows new capillaries.
2.Increases RNA and DNA synthesis. Cells must replicate (multiply) before new tissue is formed. A doubling of DNA, which occurs in the presence of nitric oxide, precedes cell division. This helps damaged cells to be replaced more promptly.
3. Reduces the excitability of nervous tissue. Nerves deprived of oxygen and nutrients (and therefore ATP) are overly excitable. Nitric oxide, much like morphine but without the side effects) can also suppress pain signals directly.
4. Stimulates fibroblastic activity which aids in the repair process. Fibroblasts are present in connective tissue and are capable of forming collagen fibers.
5.Increases phagocytosis, which is the process by which white blood cells (WBC) scavenge dead or degenerated cells. These events must occur before the healing process can take place.
6. Induces a thermal like effect in the tissue. Increased flow of blood (at 98.6 F) to the skin at the site of treatment and production of ATP itself both raise the temperature of tissues although there is little heat produced from the diodes themselves.
7. Stimulates acetylcholine release. Acetylcholine has important parasympathetic nervous system effects. Among these is local vasodilatation and improved gastrointestinal peristalsis.
Nitric Oxide Decreases Pain and Numbness in Extremities
The Quantum Light Therapy Equipment offers hope for those patients suffering from neuropathy, including neuropathy, in their legs, feet, wrists and hands.
The quantum Series delivers safe and effective infrared and visible red light that has been clinically shown to improve circulation in the extremities. Each subsequent treatment builds on the improvements gained during the prior treatment session so patients experience steady improvements in sensation and decreased (ischemic) pain.
However, The Quantum series does not stand alone as a therapy anymore than does hot packs and heating pads. It must be part of a comprehensive therapy plan. When coupled with standard physical or occupational therapy treatments, The Quantum Series Light Therapy Equipment can improve the quality of life for patients and clients who suffer from the ill effects of neuropathy.
One additional effect of local increases in nitric oxide, even without a measurable increase in circulation, is its effect on ion channels in nerves. Specifically nitric oxide improves the physiologic activity of ATP-dependent potassium channels and in this manner mimics almost exactly one of the effects of the patent pain medicine, morphine.
Proprioceptive changes affect their gait pattern and ability to properly weight shift balance. The patient’s normal body locomotion often changes. These patients have decreases in ROM, not only at the ankles and feet, but also in the knees, hips, and trunk. When patients experience changes in proprioception, gait pattern, and balance, they also lose strength. This can result from walking with an altered gait pattern that is decreased from its normal range. It can result from changes in sensation since patients are unable to judge the amount of motion occurring in the distal extremities. It can also result from decreased activity due to pain and discomfort, or fear of falling.
Some diabetic patients and clients may also experience debilitation secondary to the presence of diabetic ulcers and decreased skin integrity, which can interfere with weight bearing activities. While neuropathic symptoms are encountered less frequently in the wrists and hands, patients and clients can still develop a wide variety of deficits in their use and function as a result of diabetic neuropathy. Luckily, physical therapy along with chiropractic care and light therapy can help.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.