- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 01-31-2014
We absolutely love coconut oil! We use Tropical Traditions Expellar-Pressed, which does not have the coconut smell.
Coconut oil is a versatile oil extracted from the meat of mature coconuts that can be used for cooking, body care, and maintaining overall health. Coconut oil is comprised of three fatty acids which have many health benefits including:
- Antimicrobial properties due to Lauric Acid - a fatty acid that helps kill pathogenic bacteria and fungi.
- Anti-fungal properties due to Caprylic Acid - a fatty acid that aids in killing candida cells and helps improve insulin utilization.
- Antiviral and antimicrobial properties due to Capric Acid
Other benefits of coconut oil include:
- Helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- More efficient burning of energy due to the break down of MCTs (medium chain fatty acids)
- Antioxidant properties
- Increased HDL cholesterol
Coconut oil can be eaten by itself of used in a variety of ways. If taking coconut oil on a daily basis, 2 tablespoons are recommended. We personally use 1 tablespoon while browning ground beef or turkey on the stove. It can also be added to smoothies, and we recommend liquifying the coconut oil before adding.
Coconut oil is also a great facial and full body moisturizer. It can also be used as a hair treatment. Liquify the coconut oil. Apply a few tablespoons to the ends of dry hair, leave on for at least 30 minutes, overnight if you can. Rinse with water and shampoo and condition your hair as normal.
How do you use coconut oil?
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.